5.11.08

Something completely different....


Wow... the last 24 hours have been truly historical for our nation. And in preparing to write this blog i have gone back and forth with regard with what to say...

See, my problem is that while i strongly disagree with quite a few of the policies that our President-elect Barak Obama indicated he would initiate while on the campaign trail if elected president over the last several months... there is this place inside of me that can't help but...
  • Wonder what my uncles feel today... since they were actual participants in the Montgomery bus boycott...
  • Wonder what my aunts and mom feel today... since they grew up in a region of our country that it was once said of "sweltered with the heat of oppression and injustice..."
  • Wonder what my granddad (if he were still living) would feel today... since he no doubt suffered the repeated indignity of being called "boy" even as a grown man...
  • Wonder what my great, great grandfather George, the son of a slave would think... since he lived the reality of being considered a non-human, never laying claim to the self evident truths that this nation's citizens were all "endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights"...
If not for any other reason... pondering these things has been (i think) a good thing... my hope is that despite the differences that might continue to divide our nation... we would take a moment to appreciate the historicity of what has just occurred and then collectively "roll up our sleeves" and get back to work doing what God has called each of us to do...

No comments:

Labels

I AM NOT HAPPY AT ALL!

I AM NOT HAPPY AT ALL!
Welcome to our world little dude!