5.9.08

We Need to Get A Grip!

Have you ever found yourself wanting to see one particular team lose a game but knowing that everything would still be "okay"even if they ended up winning?

That's how i felt... about the Super Bowl a few years back.

It was an historic day... for the first time in the history of the NFL the two head coaches (best of friends actually) on opposite sides of the field were men of color (black to be exact)! The two teams were both teams that I had an strong fondness for... one team had been the team of my "youth"... i grew up watching Bob Avelini, Bob Thomas, Vince Evans and an assortment of head coaches deal with the never ending frustration of not being able to win in the playoffs! i did however, love the Bears Shufflin' Crew most of all.

The other team on the field that night had earned a very special place in my heart too! i had watched this team go from winning a grand total of six games in the first two years of my living in Indianapolis to a record of 13 and 3 and winning their division under their second year quarterback Peyton Manning.... to their rightly earned spot in THE championship game!

So when "Super Bowl Sunday" arrived i can confidently say it would have been totally alright no matter who won the game that night...
  • Would the world have ended as we know it? Probably not...
  • Would football fans from all around the world joined hands and sang a rousing chorus of Kum Bah Ya? In all likelihood uh... No.
  • Would the game itself have morphed into something completely unrecognizable as NFL football? i doubt it.

My "head" told me which team to cheer for while my "heart" tugged in a different direction...

All the while the game was truly exciting, at the end of the game i knew, i knew... everything would be just fine... my confidence and trust in the things of life were not so wrapped up in this "contest" that i found myself wondering if the fate of the entire universe depended on who won... crazy huh?

Hmmm, i wonder if there are a few things we could learn from my "Super Bowl" experience in light of our current cultural and political climate... i think so... we really need to get a grip!

No comments:

Labels

I AM NOT HAPPY AT ALL!

I AM NOT HAPPY AT ALL!
Welcome to our world little dude!