13.6.08

That's a lot of "Dads"....


Well... this coming weekend we celebrate Father's Day... even though i have seen 42 of these special days come and go over the years (the last 17 times as an actual Dad myself)... i haven't had the opportunity to tell my own father happy Father's day...

There are perhaps many of you who are in similar situations, for a variety of reasons... that is, you are a dad but haven't really had a dad involved in your life from the time you were very young or perhaps even before you were born (such as was the case in my life). Now you find yourself trying to navigate the sometimes turbulent waters of "fatherhood" with little to no help from the one man who could have (or should have) helped you figure some of that out. Truth is... that's all behind us now.

On the other hand, on this Father's Day there are a quite a few men that i really believe were brought into my life at just the right time, under just the right circumstances who truly shaped me into the person that i have become today... guys like...
Lou- who was the very first man i remember who took care of me and loved me for being me

Uncle Floyd- who is one of the hardest working men i have ever known
Uncle Fred- who is one of the smartest men i have ever known
Uncle E.L. - who is one of the toughest men i have ever known
Uncle Jr. - who is one of the "funnest" (is that a word?) men i have ever known

Coach DaFoe- who helped me see that although i'd never be a great athlete, i could be a great kid...
Coach Wroughton- who saw a crying kid who had great potential, found the key and unlocked my soul
John Pack- who stood for what was right with gentleness and faithfulness
Mr. Ulrich- who encouraged my love for music
Coach Lombardi- who taught me to love the phrase..."No pain...No gain!"

Earl
- who modeled a faith in God that changed my life
Sky- who proved that it was possible to really love obnoxious insecure students (like yours truly)!
Coach- who went beyond the call of duty and showed me what it meant to "make it happen"
Allan- For being the best first "boss" a man could have
George- For sowing the seeds of unconditional love into the heart and soul of most incredible woman i know
Ted- for his faithful love for me, even though i know i don't deserve it

So i guess when I really think about it... it's not that i haven't had a dad to thank, i have never thought about thanking all the Dads in my life and so let me say...

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting blog this week. It is true the lack of a biological father-figure typically negatively impacts the child all the way through adulthood. However, I like to think it had somewhat of the opposite effect you. Your life is built around your kids and wife - period end of discussion, no question about it. It is clear to anybody that knows you that you are the complete polar opposite of a neglectful father and husband (in fact, you can be over-the-top obsessive complusive about fatherhood and family, but that is for another day or another blog). Point is - you can debate to as why you are a great Dad and a loving husband, but the fact remains the same. You are who you are - and it worked pretty darn good.

Labels

I AM NOT HAPPY AT ALL!

I AM NOT HAPPY AT ALL!
Welcome to our world little dude!