21.5.08

Sibling Rivalry?





My "little" brother Ken and his family are coming to spend the Memorial Day week with us... this will be the first time he has been to our new home near Chicago since we moved back to the area a few years back and the first time our families have been together since we spent a few days at Disneyworld last Spring (my brother works for THE Mouse. i am looking forward to him being here for a number of reasons... most of all because i really like Christy (his wife) and my niece (who calls me "the other" uncle Bobby) Julia is a hoot!

My brother and i are several years apart in age but when we were kids we still spent a ton of time together. Probably the funniest thing i remember about my brother is the fact that as a kid i didn't even know that my mother was pregnant with him until the day she went to the hospital to deliver him! Seriously... i was clueless!

Neither of us had a "dad' in our home growing up and so consequently (even though i didn't realize it at the time) since i was older, i sort of became like a dad... at least for the time i was at home before going off to college. i must admit i was clueless about that too!

i think i can honestly say, i never considered or thought of Ken as a "pest" or as a "hindrance" to my cool-ness factor. He was (and is) my brother and it was simply accepted that if my mom or one of our other aunts or uncles couldn't be around to take care of him... i did.

That's just the way it was.

My mom was real clear about another thing too... she made it real clear that under no circumstances was i to ever lay a finger on my brother! No matter what he said, no matter what he did... i was to never hit him. Truthfully though... i think he had my back on that one most of the time... because i remember there being a couple of times, i clocked him!

i can honestly say that in spite of me, he turned out to be a fairly normal person :) Which just goes to show just what God can do despite what how much we may mess things up!

No comments:

Labels

I AM NOT HAPPY AT ALL!

I AM NOT HAPPY AT ALL!
Welcome to our world little dude!