26.8.07

I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watchin' Me....

Running a bit late on this post but it has been a been a bit of a hectic week.... good but hectic!

i saw something happen the other day that i thought i would share because it was pretty disturbing although i am not real sure why....

In preparation for an upcoming training meeting for some leaders of our small groups i went to a local grocery store to purchase supplies. What is interesting is this is a local store where members of my family and myself constantly recognize people from our congregation and they recognize us. i am almost certain that every time i go to this store i see someone that i know.

Anyway, as i was leaving the store to return to my car i saw someone that i knew but i could tell they were in the middle of talking on the phone so we never acknowledged one another. However, since my car was a couple of rows away from them i could clearly see him but he never saw me. One of the things i also noticed was that this person was parked in the "Handicapped Only" parking stall... which was strange because as far as i know this person is not handicapped at all. Now all of a sudden a wave of thoughts hit me like a ton of bricks... first i thought..."They know better..." then i thought, "They don't get it..." only to be followed by, "i wonder how many people see me do "something" in public and think these same thoughts about me?". Ouch!

i came away from that experience reminded that before i begin pointing out the stuff in my neighbors' backyard, maybe i should focus on cleaning mine first. It's easy to condemn someone else but that is the problem isn't it? Taking a closer look inside of ourselves before jumping to conclusions about others and their actions is a lot more difficult than it sounds.

My gut feeling is if we were to as individuals commit to this type of "fearless self inventory" on a regular basis, i bet a ton of finger pointing, tongue wagging and blaming would cease or at the very least, ease up a bit....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would that it were true! Unfortunately, the human capacity to rationalize is limitless. Therefore, when someone else uses the handicapped space they are being inconsiderate, but when I do it, it's because I have or think I have, some manufactured emergency or other good reason for doing it (I'm only going to be five minutes!). This is illustrated by the evaluation of ones own keepsakes as my "stuff," while those things belonging to another are considered their "junk."

Labels

I AM NOT HAPPY AT ALL!

I AM NOT HAPPY AT ALL!
Welcome to our world little dude!